About Me

My photo
I am in love with and intrigued by the story and plight of the black community. Learning is my passion and I intend to use my passion to show the community that I love ways to effect positive change in their lives as well as others.

6.04.2009

Impress Me!

The application process to get into a private school is in place to weed out those who would not be able to keep up with the challenges and pace of the private sector and the advanced learning. They recruit the cream of the crop and educate them, sometimes from as early as nursery. The fast track to private, elite schools begins early and can end with a degree from some the top ivy league institutions in America. Isn't this fantastic?? Isn't this country great??

Yea.... While this is great and can also present great opportunities for children in "under-served" communities (code for black kids living in low-income communities), I remain unimpressed. The general consensus is that if you make it into a "private" school and can remain there, you are on the right track and the path to success. What makes me angry is that these institutions teach kids who are mostly at the top of their game - but to impress me, I would like to see a private school challenge their educators by teaching the hard-to-teach. I am not sure why it's acceptable practice to take the good and make them better instead of bringing up the whole of the human race. My belief is that if you educate all levels of intellect, you could close the gaps in education, economics and social classes.

But to even the playing field is not the American way!! It's totally unpatriotic to want us all to rise together..... So let's keep this crap going!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

@pamelajeri

    follow me on Twitter